Whole Foods Recalls Popcorn Chicken That May Contain Shellfish


KEY POINTS

  • The undeclared allergen was discovered because of a customer complaint
  • To date, one illness related to the recall has been reported
  • Shellfish is said to be among the most common food allergens

Whole Foods Market is recalling its popcorn chicken products that were found to have undeclared shrimp. Shrimp is among the shellfish that cause the greatest number of allergic reactions, so people with a shellfish allergy may be at risk of experiencing a life-threatening allergic reaction when they consume the affected product.

On Monday, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) posted a company announcement from Whole Foods Market recalling its “Popcorn chicken with sweet chili sauce” because it may contain undeclared shellfish, specifically shrimp. According to the announcement, the problem was discovered because of a customer complaint and one illness has since been reported.

As a result, the affected products were removed from store shelves and

Read More

Food recalls: The USDA issues alerts for some beef stock, samosas and tamales


The holiday will already look different for many as the US reaches a staggering coronavirus death toll of more than 255,000 and experts warn that traveling for gatherings will likely increase spread.

And with problems ranging from lack of re-inspection to possible contamination, the United States Department of Agriculture Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) has issued public health alerts for four food products this month as potential hazards.

“FSIS is concerned that some product may be in consumers’ refrigerators. Anyone concerned about an illness should contact a health care provider,” a public health alert said, adding that the products falling under the recalls should not be consumed.

On Saturday, FSIS issued a public health alert for chicken and beef samosa products containing spring roll pastries that have been recalled by the manufacturer, Tee Yih Jia (TYJ) Food Manufacturing.

The alert stems from misbranding and an undeclared allergen, the alert

Read More